Saturday, October 1, 2011

Is it the Change in the Season?

Gosh guys, I've missed you!!!  I've been so remiss on reading blogs lately.  I think that the changes of the season must do things to people, right?  Well, it definitely has done something to me.  I've been in the worse stitching/quilting slump that you can imagine!  I have a million things that I want to make and then I look at them and walk away.   Probably because after the crazy summer we had around here, I'm still playing catchup.  But it also usually means that I need to look for a change of pace, and I think that I've found it, but I'll get to that in a bit.

Since I last posted anything of substance (which was over a month), I've made some progress on Ann Hall:


I was happily stitching along on dear Ann and then I got bored!  How could I go that when I was getting to the part where I could stitch in Adam and Eve?  Well, I don't know what came over me, but I went on to And All Was For An Appil (another Adam and Eve).  But you're not going to see a picture of that one because after a few nights it dawned on me that in less than two months is my annual trip to New York (insert a Woo Hoo here) to see my sister.  Now I've been promising my sister that I'd make her another Mirabilia mermaid, and being the procrastinator that I am I've been putting it off and putting it off, but I figured that I better get going on it.  So I dumped AAWFAA like a hot potato and picked up Deepest Love by Mirabilia.  Not my normal stitching fare, but I do like her:


Then I worked a little bit on a scarf that I started last year and hopefully I'll finish it this year:

An entrelac scarf using Noro Taiyo yarn.  It's fun to work on but I've only gotten that last row on in the past few weeks.  I figured this would be a great "take-with" project while my daughter dances now that her dance hours are later and I can't get into too much trouble in the malls (darned it!).  Another thing that has really caught my fancy are these babies and I think these are the change of pace I needed:

Photo curtesy of Ravelry (Love!!!)

Cute pincushions (More Love!!)

Crocheted Hexie Afghan (Even more love)

About the hexie afghan - yes, yes, I know - I was working on some quilted ones a while ago and they're still here, but there is something so soothing to me lately about the thought of crocheting.  You know, cooler weather, football game on the TV and the warm feel of wool.  So obviously I'm going through some changes like the seasons.

Oh, before I forget, my friend Di, who is the most fantastic stitcher, quilter and just about everything else person, set up a new blog and you have got to see her hand pieced hexi quilt (among other things), so check out her new blog and say "Hi Ya" when you have a chance:  On My Needle.  She does some remarkable things.


And I have to make a confession right here and now - all those pictures of knitting/crocheting are courtesy of Pinterest.  Have you taken a look at that sight?  Have you been sucked into the vortex of pages and pages of things to do, decorating ideas, food, photography?  Unfortunately, I have to confess that I have and I couldn't be happier that I've found all those wonderful things.  If you haven't taken a look, you're in for a lot of inspiration and a lot of time sucking!  Believe me on the time sucking thing!!!  I have a link on my sidebar (I think it will take you there or to the general site).  Take a look, and then put the coffee pot beside you and some provisions - you'll be there for a while!!!


Okay - back to reality!!  When I've been wandering around trying to figure out what I wanted to do, but couldn't get myself to sit down, I messed around in the craft room a little bit.  In fact, I'm changing the whole room around once again (enough already you say - get to sewing and quit messing around!  LOL).  I finally got a quilt rack up after trying to figure out how to do it (the wall was bowed in the middle - basement walls are not always the flattest) and this is the result:


A few of my children's vintage sewing machines and pincushions.  The quilt still needs to be quilted, but thought I'd just hang it up for effect.  I'm working on the last wall in my room as we speak, but it's going to take a while as one piece of the necessary furniture won't be here for a week or so.

In the antiquing finds category,  I'll show you the frogs I've accumulated since the summer up to about now:

The amber frog on the top right was a gift from Terri for my birthday, and the other ones I found here and there.  I was surprised to find the pink one in the lower middle, as I've usually only seen them clear like the one on the bottom left.  Here's a better picture of the two latest:

And last but not least, I got two surprises in the mail last month and I was just tickled.  These were from Mindi who had just started a blog.  I was her first follower and she sent me these absolutely wonderful things for being her first follower:


I was so surprised when the package appeared in the mail.  Thank you so much Mindi and I'm glad that I was your first follower!  And I just realized that there was a fob that matched the pillow that I didn't take a picture of.

There is it - and on the back is the initial "D".

And my dear friend Loraine sent me this package:

An adorable Welcome pillow which will hang from my craft room door, a marking pen that disappears (perfect for quilting) and The Angler 2.  I was complaining to her about the millions of half-square triangles I had to make for the Civil War quilts and she said that she had just the thing!!  I can't wait to try it out.  And she also sent a piece of wonderful fabric.

Well, I think that's about all for me today.  My son came home from school again this weekend.  I'm not sure if he came to see us or came home because the football game was away and he needed clothes washed (probably the latter reason), and DD is getting ready for the Homecoming Dance at her school this evening.  I'm still having a hard time believing that she's in high school, but I think that we've all experienced that feeling before.

I hope that everyone is having a great weekend, and I promise not to be a stranger now.  I've really missed reading blogs and seeing what everyone is doing!

51 comments:

Cathy Lloyd said...

You Ms. Deb have been very busy! Love everything I see! Thanks for the update!

Cathy Lloyd said...

PS...I have sworn off Pintrest for the time being! HA!

Karmen said...

I am overcome by the unattractive emotion of envy! Love every item in every picture you posted. Serious desire to find myself an amber-colored flower frog. Karmen

diamondc said...

I love your Quilt hanger and all the things displayed around iy very nice, your stitching projects are wonderful how lovely to give your Sister A Mermaid and such a beautiful one.
Blessings
Catherine
diamondc

Jackie's Stitches said...

Pinterest is great! I keep pinning things though that I'm not going to make - like food. They all look and sound so good. It's a great resource though.

Enjoy your visit with your son - you probably won't even mind doing his laundry!

Teresa S. said...

Welcome back-I knew you were staying busy!

Please don't send me to Pinterest--I have NO extra time to sit and dream. But I will admit that the crochet hexagon afghan sure looks so pretty!

You are a great sister-a Mirabilia mermaid-wow!

Love the quilt rack and dress form, but Mary's Best Handwork above looks so perfect right there.

I found a pink depression glass frog and passed it by. Now I'm sorry :(

What they are doing with yo-yos these days is amazing!! I have an antique yo-yo quilt that is in avg shape. I'm so glad I didn't sell it!

Nancy said...

The Mermaid for your sister is beautiful as is all your stitching! You have been very busy of late!

marly said...

Great post - lots of different projects and ideas!

Cari said...

Oh my gosh Deb....beautiful projects. Love Ann Hall...she is beautiful and your work is amazing. And the knitting, crocheting, the quilting...the shopping, the surfing..... we need longer days!! We've finally got some cooler weather here and I opened up the house this morning. It's simply wonderful !! I'm off to stitch something on the lanai. HUGS dear friend.

Cyndi said...

Hey Deb! Wow, for someone that has been in a slump, you sure got a lot done! I'm impressed, my friend! And everything is beautiful...I think that Mermaid is going to be awesome! Your room looks pretty great, too!

Have a great weekend!

XOXO,

Cyndi

staci said...

Your stitching is gorgeous Deb, and I love your entrelac scarf.

Your friends are very talented, enjoy your lovely gifts!

Suburban Stitcher said...

between pinterest, blogs, and ravelry...i'm in trouble EVERY TIME i log onto the computer!

Nancy said...

Just want to say "WOW!!". Love your stitching and your crocheted quilt makes me wish I could crochet. I love it!!

Jane said...

Nice to see you back Deb and all the things you've been working on!
I love the Quilt hanger and the vintage sewing machines along the top, they're so small and cute!
I think your stitchy slump may have come my way ~ I cannot decide what to do next so have put it all away again and watched TV instead!
Take Care xxx

Diane (di) said...

Your blog, as usual, is simply a droolfest woman. You're gonna have that scarf done in no time and your sister's mermaid fabric is gorgeous. Are you enabling even more people to Pinterest? You are so bad. And I should know since you got me hooked, too. :) Lovin' that website, your flower frogs and my goodness your craft room is just wonderful. hugyouloveyouhugyou, BFF.

Loraine said...

Hi Deb!
I have only looked at a couple of blogs this week, and I was so happy to see a post from you today! I so know what you are talking about in regards to your sewing slump. I hope my mojo, and yours, returns real soon.
Love the shelf you were able to hang! The color of your walls is so yummy. It all looks wonderful, and those scarfs...so fabulous.
Don't get me started on pinterst! I looked at that for a few minutes one day, and was mesmerized! So many cool things that people collect. It is the perfect place to be inspired.
I have been working on Mary Allen today, and actually am liking it again. Hopefully we can finish that one soon.
Hugs to you dear friend! I will e-mail later.

Kim said...

Great things in the works, Miss Deb!!! And quit it with the Pinterest....I'm trying to avoid it...haven't spent much time there...yet. UGH! LOVE the hexie afghan.

Margaret said...

You always have so much to show when you post! Love it all! Your sewing machines -- fantastic! Love the quilt too. Love your Ann, love the Mirabilia. I bet your sister will love it! I also love all the projects you want to work on. I've only done a bit of crochet, but I keep thinking about doing more. I will stop by your friend's blog -- want to see the hexie quilt!

Susan said...

Wow, you've been busy! Loved all the pictures and am in awe of the scarf you are knitting.

Lois said...

Good to see a post from you Deb! You have been busy! I think knitting and crocheting are a bit like comfort food coming into the autumn and winter. There's just something very comforting about them. Lovely gifts you received and love the quilt rack with the sewing machines above.

Christine said...

Great work on your WIPs and the scarf is just gorgeous.
Lovely gifts in the post as well

Carmen said...

co embroidery sewing is difficult in summer is so hot now that the seasons change we can do more things. The colors of the scarf are great!.

Me and My Stitches said...

Wow - looks like you have gotten a lot of stitching done! Love everything you've shown - and am inspired by it all!

Sherry said...

Everything is totally yummy! Love those scarves and frogs! Congratulations on getting that great package! Ann is looking beautiful too!

Yvette said...

You may be in a quilting slump but I see your energy has been deterred elsewhere. I LOVE that hexi afghan. I would love to learn to make something like that.

Penny said...

The Mirabilia mermaids are so pretty ~ I know your sister will love it! Love the knitting too and of course anything with hexagons. Lovely packages. I try to stay away from Pinterest and Ravelry but it's impossible. :)

BrendaS said...

Deb --
Great to see a post from you and that you are doing OK! Everything looks wonderful as always. Love the scarf!

Hope you get the Mirabella done for your sister and you received some great gifts:)

Have a great week and thanks for sharing an update!

Mouse said...

gosh you have been busy and nice gifts you got too :) not gone on that site.. haven't got enough time ..lol but did nip over to your friends blog :) (still waiting for postie to come :( )
hope you've had a great weekend :) love mouse xxxxx

Katrien said...

lots of beautiful work in this post!

Catherine said...

All I can say is - wow - beautiful stuff all around!!

barbara said...

My eyes are all worn out from looking at all these beautiful pictures!!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Deb ~
You can knit and crochet, too? What can't you do...lol?
LOVE your little sewing machines.
Stop on over. I'm having a give-away.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Giovanna said...

Lovely stitching as always! I agree, PInterest is huge time sucker, but also great fun.

Nicole said...

What an eye-candy post Deb!! Everything is beautiful! :)

Blu said...

Gorgeous stitching!
I've managed to stay away from Pinterest. I've already got a billion other time wasting sites I visit!
That scarf is spectacular

Littlebit said...

Your quilt rack is perfect! I have an unfinished quilt hanging on mine too. That is what it is for, right? Well that's what I told my husband. lol!
No can do Pinterest. I have enough time hogs!
Wow..what a great sister you are!

doris said...

I'm overwhelmed by all the pretty, pretty things! The pin cushions, though, are tugging at my wishbone. There's no way I have time for learning to crochet, but it's truly tempting. You're naughty!

Siobhán said...

Everything looks great, Deb!! My older DD asked why I have a crochet pinboard & I said it was so that my younger DD could make stuff from it for me. So now she wants a knitting pinboard. ;) My evil plan is working. I love the projects you've picked!

Ann Hall looks GREAT!! Nice progress on the Mirabilia, too. Great packages you've received in the mail, too--lucky you!!

Sherry :o) said...

Wow - love, LOVE that quilt - and you know why!!

Your progress on the Mirabillia and your Ann Hall is great - you have done some stitching!

Your packages are wonderful. What a beautiful "first follower" stitch that is.

Hope homecoming went well - for the daughter and home(visit) for your son.

Sally said...

Wow you have been busy. That quilt is gorgeous and your WIPs are looking so pretty. Love that scarf too!

Lovely packages too!

Kajsa said...

Nice to see you post! Thanks for sharing all the pretty pictures!

Michelle said...

So many pretty things in your post! I'm feeling like you - I can't seem to get anything done (reading, stitching, quilting - nothing). But I find so many things I want to do!! I have a list a mile long. And am I imagining it, or didn't Diane (Di) used to have a blog?

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Your quilt rack with your quilt and sewing machines looks awesome! Love how you have them displayed! Such wonderful things you find! I would guess that your flower frog collection beats all but a dealer (you know the one)! Beautiful!

Beautiful stitching on both projects and hope your visit with Nick was fun!

TTYS!

Kathy Ellen said...

Talk about inspiration....you have made wonderful progress on Ann Hall and Mirabilia, and your beautiful scarf too!

That hexagon quilt is gorgeous! What a treasure it would be to stitch! Love your frogs collection too!. You are creating a wonderful craft room....I adore little vintage sewing machines.

This has been a wonderful post to read and see all of your great photos!

Karoline said...

Lovely wips, I like your pins. I've only dabbled in Pinterest so far, it's possibly a good thing that I don't get to spend much time online at the moment.

Poussy Stitches My Love said...

Oh I love your pictures

marylin from France

Berit said...

My scarf is beautiful, and I am so busy waiting by the mailbox for its arrival that I have forgotten to be mad that you didn't finish and send it last year. :D :D :D

Seriously, looks awesome! I need to write down that yarn (or pin you!)

We want pics of you wearing it upon completion!

JonHebert said...

Hey quilters I need some solidarity. My favorite niece is a quilter extraordinaire and she also contributes heavily to breast cancer – one of her companies, “Save the Tatas”, gives over 100,000 per year to this important research. Please vote for her as she can even donate more money to this cause at http://pinkwell.org/ if you do, by winning the Ellen DeGeners Award. It is Breast Cancer awareness month and it’s something all of you should be paying attention to! Thanks for your help!

tara said...

wOOOOw your blog is so beautiful! congrats'!!!!

Rochelle of Beautiful Craft Spaces said...

Oh how I wish I could do what you do!! So beautiful, Debbie! Love everything you shared! :)

Claudia/Ompompali said...

There are so many interesting things to see on your blog and I've been going round and round. Above you have posted a picture of a grey keyhole scarf from Ravelry, but I cannot find it there. Could you tell me where I can see the pattern? Thanks so much!