Friday, December 31, 2010

Goodbye 2010 - A Quick Recap and A Quick Look Forward

I can't believe that in a few short hours it's going to be 2011, can you?  Where has this year gone?  I can remember looking back when I was in high school and thinking that reaching this point in life would make me so old!!!  2011!!!  I think that we all thought that the world was going to end by this point!  LOL  Well, the world hasn't ended, but I've definitely gotten older - but I'm not old - at least in my mind!!!

Are you doing any celebrating tonight?   We're playing it real low key around here.  DH had shoulder surgery earlier this week, and as anyone knows who has had that type surgery, it's no walk in the park!  He's not the best patient sometimes though!!!

Anyway, I thought that I would do a quick look back at the year and a quick look forward - kind of.  So if you aren't into the year in review and hopes for the new year, you can go to the next blog.  But I thought it would be fun to look back at my blog someday and see what I accomplished this year.  Here's what I came up with:

Hoppin' Bunny, 20th Century Bullseye Quilt, Sarah Seifer, Quilt (I forgot the name)
Mary Corey, Buttons and Blooms for a Cure, Evil Serpent Sampler, Margaret Pence
Jenny Bean's Pincushion, Les Petite Lettres Rouge, Mary Little, Apple Tree Sampler
Yellow House Sample, Adam Alone, Sailboat Quilt, Farmer's Wife

I was a little startled by what I had accomplished as the later part of this year felt like I had been in the middle of a train wreck, but also a little disappointed by what I didn't get done this year.  You'll note that in the far right corner is Bailey sitting on the Farmer's Wife quilt pieces.  No, it's not done, but yet I feel like I had about 59 little finishes up to that point as some of those blocks were monsters!!!

I had so many good intentions of finishing up some of my WIPs.  Unfortunately I didn't get there, but I'm making them a priority this year!  Instead of trying to start 15 new projects in 15 days during January as some people are doing, I decided that I would have some new starts, but my priority was to finish some of these: (This is the part where I embarrass myself):

The Farmer's Wife, Susanna Lane,  Sarah Pope, And All Was For an Appil
Ann Medd, Hannah Lancaster, Bliss Quilt, Angel Song, Frances Eden

And there's more:


Marquoir de Justine, Mary's Best Handwork, Convent's Herbal Garden Shores of HRH, Elizabeth Clayton
Houses of Hawk Run Hollow, Provence, Village of HRH, Women's Voices Quilt, Red and Black Quilt

So now I've publicly embarrassed myself with showing the results of being a serial starter (and there may even be a few more lurking around here somewhere).  And I'd really like to get these cleaned up.  So no new 15 projects for me.  I wanted to join that challenge - I really did, but let's be realistic!  I've got more than enough going on here!   Now before you think that I'm not going to start anything,  I do have to have my New Year's Day start (in fact, I'm going to have two - don't tell!  LOL) - Elizabeth Sheffield and Jane Atkinson.  Big ones.  I really wish that I'd learn to stitch smaller things!  And I'll add new ones during the year as I finish up some of the old ones.  I think that's what keeps us happy stitchers - having new things to start (and in my case - not finish)!!!

And I do have a couple things that really want to accomplish in the coming year:

Mirabilia Mermaid for my sister
Civil War Tribute Quilt (BOM) (will not be finished during the year)
Civil War Chronicles Quilt (BOM) (will not be finished during the year)
Sylvia's Bridal Quilt (BOM) (will not be finished during the year)
Ann Medd - the poor girl needs to be finished and framed - she's been lurking around here for FIVE years!
Start the Dear Jane Quilt (will definitely not be finished in the new year)
Start the Nearly Insane (yeah, this definitely fits my character)
Ann Hicks Sampler
Mary Allen Sampler
And about 100 other samplers!!!  LOL  I have a list, but I'm not going to publish it.

So there you have it - no real big commitments - just try to finish up what I can.  I'm hoping to get half those WIPs finished (both stitching and quilting), but I'm not going to kill myself doing it.  I know that things will pop up during the year and I'll go back to my hopeless starting of new projects.  But you know what?  That's what keeps it fun.  But it will also be fun to see actually how many of these projects I can complete during the year.

Have you made resolutions for the New Year?  I've made not a one except to finish up some of these things.  Like my stitching, I procrastinate on resolutions so I've found it's best not to even make them.  But how about you?  Have you made any resolutions?

Well, this is a quick post and I want to wish everyone a happy, healthy and peaceful New Year and thank you for all your friendships, kind comments and words of encouragement throughout the year.  They have truly meant a lot of to me.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!
(and don't forget about my giveaway.  I'll draw a winner on Tuesday!!!)

55 comments:

Teresa S. said...

OK, Deb, I'll admit it-when I got to the second set of photos of your WIP's I had to chuckle at how many projects you have! No wonder you don't need the January Challenge, he,he. I still am in love with your Apple Tree Sampler (did you see it in my 2011 list?) and I am determined to finish the City Stitcher A& E this year, too. Looking forward to watching your progress in 2011!

Cathy B said...

Happy New Year Deb! You accomplished quite a bit in 2010 - congratulations! And, you do have a number of projects that need to be finished - we'll be here to cheer you on!

Blu said...

You've finished some real beauties this year!

Robin said...

There are many others right there with you as far as the unfinished projects. I guess misery loves company. I especially like the photo of Bailey on your Farmers Wife's blocks. Just too cute.

Happy new year and good luck with your plans to get some WIPs finished. Best wishes to your husband for a speedy recovery from someone sitting on the sofa with a bag of frozen peas on their shoulder!

Mary said...

What an fantastic array of projects. Love all those that you have finished and your wips are pretty amazing too. You are cetainly one brave girl - not one but three Hawk Run Hollow projects started. I am still trying to work up the courage to start one of them - terrified that I will fall by the wayside, or drop off the perch before it is finished!! lol. Thanks so much for sharing. Have a wonderful 2011 and I look forward to seeing what you do this year.
Mary

Margaret said...

I loved seeing your finishes for the year and also your WIPs. I will never show all my WIPs. I promise I have more than you. lol! Hope your husband's shoulder heals quickly. Any kind of surgery is no fun. Have a great New Year!

KarenV said...

You finished some lovely pieces last year! I'm looking forward to seeing which WIPs you work on this year - Happy New Year!

Laurie in Iowa said...

Loved your year in review post and your challenge and hopes for 2011.
Happy New Year!

Siobhán said...

You finished such beautiful projects this year, Deb! I love seeing everybody's year in review. Maybe by the end of this year (it's 12:27 am on 1/1/2011 here!) I'll have some decent stuff to post. ;)

I'm wishing your DH a speedy recovery and all of your family a very happy & healthy new year!

basketsnprims said...

Deb, your finishes for this year are gorgeous. I wish you luck on completing your wip in 2011. I can't start much else til I finish one, though I do have about 4 things going right now.
Wishing you and your family a very Happy New Year and wishing your dh a speedy recovery.
hugs,
pam

The French Bear said...

Good for you, what a lot of finishes!!!!
Beautiful!
Happy New Year,
Hugs,
Margaret B

valerie said...

Beautiful finishes and WIPs. I will be following your progress closely. I love your Ann Medd. That was the project you were working on when I first stumbled on your blog!

There's so much I want to stitch...I hope I don't end up with more WIPs at the end of '11 than I started with! lol

Happy New Year!

Yvette said...

Girl, don't be embarrassed by those projects, we all have a zillion of them in the closet. LOL! I made a list of to-do's for the year but I need to edit it before I make it public, I think I am trying to be too ambitious.

I love all your projects but I especially love the puppy sitting on the FW blocks. Just too adorable.

Happy New Year!

Myra said...

You did some gorgeous stitching. Happy New Year!

Darlene said...

Happy New Year, Deb. I'm looking forward to enjoying more of your inspiration.

Jackie's Stitches said...

I hope your husband recovers well and quickly!

You don't have anything to be embarrassed about! I know someone who has 60 WIPs and she is involved in other hobbies. Resolutions? I resolve to start some things, make progress on others, and hopefully finish a few. Most of all - I resolve to have guilt free fun!

woolwoman said...

Deb - i think your accomplishments for 2010 are amazing - with kids and a busy household - I don't know how you do what you do - and your wish list for 2011 is very exciting - some gals in my sampler guild are setting up a Finish 11 in 2011 blog where lots of people can contribute and participate - maybe you'll join us ? many blessings and many happy stitches in the new year - hugs mel

Daffycat said...

A wonderful collection of finishes and WIPs!

Best wishes in the New Year!

Kim said...

Happy New Year, Deb!! See! You got a TON of stuff done this past year! Yay YOU!!! I hope your husband survives the recuperation of the surgery..that is..I hope you don't 'off him'. LOL ;o)

Cari said...

Happy New Year Deb !! I love seeing all of your finishes and WIP...welcome to my world!! Warm hugs and happy stitching throughout the year!!

Lois said...

Look at all those lovely finishes and such great WIP's!! No serious New Year resolutions for me, on the stitching front I want to stitch more of what is already in my stash but that's about it. Happy New Year Deb and may 2011 be filled with lots of stitching!

Denise said...

I think you've accomplished a lot this year! As for the WIP's - mores the merrier!

Happy New Year -
Give Mr Bailey a treat for me!
Denise

Bertie said...

Lovely finishes, both quilt and stitching and WOW those WIP'S, am so glad that there are kindred spirits out there with more wip's than me, and I thought I had loads,LOL
Happy New Year:))

Carol said...

You have such a beautiful lot of finishes AND WIPs, Deb! Three HRH's in progress--whew! I could barely handle one last year...

Looking forward to your 2011 finishes--hope it is a truly happy and healthy year for you and your family!

Cath said...

Happy New Year .
you have done and started some lovely projects .

Looking forward to seeing some completed throughout the year .XXX

Wrought By LaDonna said...

Happy New Year! Best to you and your family for 2011. Beautiful finishes during 2010.

Katrina said...

Love your plan!!!! And what a lot of fun finishes :-).

Happy New Year to you and yours!

Sherry :o) said...

Wow - you did lots in 2010. Isn't it amazing when we lay it all out. I know that's one thing that blogging has done for me - tracked progress and sometimes I am pleased at my progress.

Happy New Year, Deb - peace and joy to you and your family for 2011!

Sherry said...

I love all your finishes and WIPs. That is quite a list but it is probably no larger than mine! lol. I hope you have a happy New Year.

Kellie said...

Love all your photos! We are kindred spirits in the WIPs department. However, I think I may have you beat. Looking forward to seeing all your stitching in the new year.

Melissa said...

Oh, good gravy, Deb, what a lot of loveliness! First, congrats on all the beautiful finishes for 2010. Then I have to admit I chuckled when I saw the second batch of WIPs! Everything is beautiful!

I look forward to seeing your new starts (what an enabler I am!) esp Elizabeth Sheffield. I bought that one but got totally intimidated with all the over one's!

Happy New Year, Deb! (ps thanks to you, I now have collected 3 flower frogs! Very plain but still - three!)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous projects! Best of luck with the Crazy January Challenge (I'm taking part too).

Missy said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Your 2010 stitching is gorgeous. You stitches are perfection.

hugs
-missy-

Rugs and Pugs said...

Deb ~
You call that a quick post? My head is spinning with all you accomplished and all the WIP's. I am enviuos {grin}.
Happy New Year to you and you family, furbaby included!
Hey, I don't see any hooking projects or did I miss it?
Hugs :)
Lauren

Annie Beez said...

OMG this post makes me feel so much better!! When I first saw your collage of WIPs I thought, wow that is not a bad pile of wips, I wish I only had that many. Then when I scrolled down and saw the rest of them I thought-now here is a girl after my heart-she has as many wips as I do. But if you want to know how superior you are- I DID start the January 15 challenge and there are only a few wips in it!! So I am worse than you-you have nothing to be embarrassed about! The key thing is-we enjoy needle arts-right! And we have the WIPs to prove it!! LOL! You go girl!!! ~Annie

Alice said...

Holy cow. Gorgeous stuff, all of it... the finished and the un... Your dog is adorable.
Yes. I did think when I was in high school that the age I am now was beyond old. I am not so sure anymore.
Happy New Year!

BrendaS said...

All your finishes are great and what a sense of accomplishment.

I'm not doing the 15 Challenge either. I don't want to set myself up for failure, but I am cheering on anyone who is going to do it.

You're right -- stitching is supposed to be fun and part of that is planning what we are going to do. Sometimes there are detours along the way but that is what makes it fun and interesting.

Have a very Happy New Year. Look forward to seeing your new starts:)))))

Hope your husband feels better soon.

Nicole said...

Wow Deb!! You had some gorgeous finishes in 2010! Looking forward to what 2011 will bring! :) Happy New Year!

Gabi said...

Wow...your finished a lot of gorgeous projects. Loving them all.
Wishing you a fantastic 2011

Barb said...

You can be very proud of all of your accomplishments this year! I'm not doing the challenge either. I have plenty of kitted up projects (who can resist the urge to shop?) but I tend to stitch one thing at a time. Happy New Year to you and your family!

Missy Ann said...

If you don't have a specific Mermaid picked out for your sister can I suggest Mediterranean Mermaid?

She's wonderful stitched up and she finishes very quickly. I believe she took me 8 days. Other stitchers have been able to finish her in 7-14 days commonly.

Natalia said...

Deb, I think you have accomplished a lot in 2010 !!! Please don't be embarrassed, we all have tons of WIP. Isn't that part of the fun of cross stitching? Happy New Year !!

Jan said...

Dear Deb, boy you have a lot going on, stitching, but such lovely starts, and I know you will get to them all eventually and have some lovely finishes to boot! I am here to encourage you, because I will so love to see them finished, and I know you will be over the top thrilled!!

No need to ever be embarrassed, we all stitch at different speeds and have different time schedules to do it in, so whatever is accomplished is great, in my book!

I am so looking forward to this year, a clean slate for our stitching, isn't it wonderful!

Here is hoping that you have a most blessed and fruitful 2011!!

Katherine said...

Deb - I couldn't agree more about finishing up stuff instead of starting new. Your quilting ALWAYS makes me want to do more though! Happy New Year to you and yours - and I wish you success in your starts and finishes.

Sue said...

Wow, I can't believe the amount of stitching you did this past year and how much you finished. Your pieces are stunning. I look foward to following your blog, thanks for being so inspiring.

Bekca said...

I think its good that you're not trying to accomplish too many goals, but rather enjoying your stitching hobby. I can't wait to see what you decide to work on first and I'm sure Bailey will pop up often enough! My only resolution is to work hard to get the grades for Uni, and a few stitching ones too :) All the best for the New Year.

Kathy A. said...

Wow, that is an impressive lot of stitching. Enjoyed looking at (drooling over) each and every piece. You have some magnificent pieces there.

Michelle said...

You had lots of gorgeous finishes in 2010! And I'm going to have to look around for that Apple Tree chart - it's awesome! Don't feel embarrassed by the WIPs, I have just as many, and I'm sure more. We'll knock some of these out this year, I'm sure!

Berit said...

Okay, I really want to make a bullseye quilt this year! I keep gathering fabrics for it only to find that they are good for about 2-3 different colorways...but not enough all together to just go forward with one whole quilt. Hmph.

Happy 2011!

I'd love to learn to be happy seeking progress rather than obsessing over perfection. But, that's every year's wish!

barbara said...

You've done some stunning stitching this year! Congratulations.

I hope your husband heals up quickly and completely from his surgery!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

Don't know how I missed your post (company, I guess) but wow, you got a lot of amazing things done! Yellow House Sampler may be my favorite just because of the tea mishap....

Great projects you have going as well - it will be fun to watch you check them off as complet throughout the year!

Happy New Year, Deb!

Nancy M said...

You had an impressive amount of finishes this year! With all the WIP you have left to work on, your husband won't have to wonder what you will do with your time this year!

Susan said...

When I saw the first set of pictures of WIPs, I was thinking, "Well, that's not so bad." Then I scrolled down to the second set and had to chuckle. But you accomplished a lot during the year--Farmer's Wife alone is MAJOR!

Looking forward to seeing your progress during 2011.

JOLENE said...

Which Miribilia Mermaid are you wanting for your sister?

sol said...

Hola¡ soy seguidora de tu fantastico Blog, tienes unos trabajos preciosos, enhorabuena.
Perdona mi atrevimiento, pero hoy paseando por tus labore he visto uno que estas haciendo que se llama Frances Eden. Aqui en España no existe, tu me podrias decir como podria comprarlo en tienda online o bien que alguien me vendiera el grafico?
Muchisimas gracias, y de nuevo pedirte disculpas.

Un saludo
Sol
soltaramon@gmail.com